Cloud chasing is a vaping phenomenon that involves exhaling large ‘clouds’ of vapour. In vaping circles it’s something of a competitive craze, with vapers challenging each other to produce the largest clouds. To succeed, vapers require specially designed e-cigarettes that are customised to produce more vapour. They also need a good pair of lungs!
What’s the attraction?
Like any niche hobby, cloud chasing has its fans and its detractors. Fans enjoy the challenge of creating clouds that eclipse the competition, but most also find joy in the pursuit regardless of the competitive aspect. In addition to the cloud chasers themselves, many people like to watch the spectacle of vapour clouds being puffed into the atmosphere. (These are sometimes referred to as cloud gazers).
On the other hand, cloud chasing is unpopular in some circles, especially if it’s done conspicuously in public places. Some are concerned about the safety of the practice, while others worry about the poor reputation it could create for vapers in general.
Are there really cloud chasing competitions?
Yes, cloud chasing competitions are really a thing. And the sights can be breathtaking! Professional vapers who partake in cloud chasing events are skilled at producing not just clouds, but shapes and ‘smoke’ rings, too.
What equipment do I need?
If you’d like to have a go at cloud chasing, first you’ll need to get your hands on the right kit. As we mentioned above, cloud chasers don’t just use a standard tank with normal battery power; instead, their mods are specifically engineered to produce the biggest and best billows of vapour.
- Battery power. Cloud chasing requires more power, with extra wattage providing the boost you need. You’ll probably to use two 18650 batteries for the best results. Adjustable power is also a great feature to help you experiment.
- Coils. Sub-ohm resistance will allow you to blow bigger clouds.
- Atomiser or sub-ohm tank? Use an RDA with plenty of airflow to produce lots of vapour, or opt for a tank built for sub-ohm vaping.
- Mods. If you are opting for a ready-made mod instead of building your own, choose a sub-ohm mod.
- Vape liquid. In order to build a bigger cloud of vapour, your e-juice needs to contain the correct ratio of PG to VG; many competitive cloud chasers go for a pure, 100% VG e-juice in order to produce larger plumes of vapour. Cloud chasing pros often tend to opt for nicotine-free vape juice.
What else do I need to know?
Battery safety is paramount. You’ll need a lot of power to produce proper clouds, so you’ll probably opt for sub-ohm vaping – an advanced vaping technique that requires some basic knowledge of Ohm’s Law. Be sure to read up on this before you begin, so you know how to stay safe.
Cloud chasing is an exciting subculture, but it’s important to play by the rules. Don’t be antisocial; always indulge in your hobby in a place where you won’t inconvenience the general public. Remember, you’re representing vapers everywhere when you vape; do it responsibly, and with consideration for others.